Oneida Community Mansion House collections include a range of primary source materials related to the Oneida Community: family portraits, historical photographs in the thousands, period furniture, braided tapestries, books, Community-designed clothing, and ephemera - more than 30,000 objects in all – which illustrate the intellectual, cultural, and business life of the Community.
The Mansion House building, a National Historic Landmark, is a valuable resource for studying the architecture of communal living. The existing Mansion House was designed and built in stages between 1861 and 1878. The 1862 house, designed by Community member Erastus Hamilton, included sleeping rooms, a library, sitting rooms, and the central gathering space, the Family Hall. The Tontine (1863-1864) served as the communal dining hall, kitchen, laundry, and workspace. In 1869, the Community added the South Wing, with attics that modeled Second Empire, Mansard style, to the main house to accommodate the communal raising of children. The New House, designed by Lewis W. Leeds, was finished in 1878 to accomodate the Wallingford, Connecticut branch of the Community, which had merged with the Oneida branch. The Lounge, designed by architect Theodore Skinner, was added by Oneida Community Ltd. in 1914.
Researchers interested in the Mansion House’s collection should contact the curator for additional information: (315) 363-0745
Bibliography on the Oneida Community (list compiled by Curator of Collections April 2017).
The Syracuse University Library has an extensive collection of Oneida Community archival material which may be accessed here and by appointment with Syracuse University’s Special Collections library.
Hamilton College Library’s Digital Collections includes information about the Oneida Community’s library and can be accessed online here.
The Oneida Community Journal (new series) contains news about the Oneida Community Mansion House organization, published twice each year in March and September.
March 2017, v 31 no 1
September 2016, v 30 no 2
March 2016, v 30 no 1
September 2015, v 29 no 2
March 2015, v 29 no 1
September 2014, v 28 no 2
March 2014, v 28 no 1
September 2013, v 27 no 2
March 2013, v 27 no 1
September 2012, v 26 no 2
March 2012, v 26 no 1
September 2011, v 25 no 2
March 2011, v 25 no 1
September 2010, v 24 no 2
March 2010, v 24 no 1
Our collections and curatorial activities are made possible in part by generous support from the Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation, the Preservation League of New York State, CNY Arts, the New York State Council on the Arts, individual donors and our members. Thank you!